Most of us are concerned about the things to take as a precaution before enter a swimming pool, and many a times we wished that someone had told us these tips earlier.
Here are a few tips that can be useful before and after you enter a swimming pool:
- Do not eat anything at least an hour prior to your entry into a pool. Mixing chlorinated water with food can result to an upset stomach.
- Apply a well-reviewed waterproof sunscreen/sunblock on all parts of the body (even those areas that are not directly affected). Most of the so called very effective waterproof sunscreens also wash out in 20 minutes of the swim. Otherwise, you can also apply moisturizer. Give it some time to sink in before you enter into the water.
- Take shower in the pool shower room earlier and then only bare your skin to chlorine.
- Take a shower with normal water/soap to remove the chemicals as soon as you get out of the pool. It is considered better to cover your hair with a shower cap but if you forgot, make sure you wash your hair too.
- Being continuously in contact with water for a long time can make your skin feel dry and itchy. After a shower, be sure that you use a lots of moisturizer even on the damp skin. Never miss any part of your body. Petroleum jelly like Vaseline is considered to be one of the most effective in case of an itchiness.
- Ensure that you are not wearing clothes on the wet or damp skin. This may cause rashes and other skin problems if your skin is sensitive. Make sure that you wait till the moisturizer/ sunscreen gets fully soaked by the skin and then pat any left wet skin with a soft and dry towel.
- During swimming, we indirectly consume lots of chlorine with the air we breathe or water from the pool which is dangerous for the skin and lungs. Hence, as soon as you come out of the pool, take in a lot of fresh air from outside the pool area by the nose or even through your mouth.
- One of the most common after effects of swimming is unusual hunger and the other condition commonly noticed is dehydration. So before you move on to having some food, hydrate your body by drinking a lot of water.
- Even after lots of potions of sunscreen, sometimes slight tanning of skin is inevitable. And especially for Indian skin, this can be a little unfavorable. Avoid swimming during sunny days and you can opt for early morning or evening swimming sessions instead.
- Some home remedies to lighten the effect of tanning include using lemon and curd on the tanned areas, Gram flour and turmeric, raw milk or milk powder are also proven effective.
Keeping these tips in mind can help us have a good swim. These tips can save us a lot of efforts in recovering from tan afterwards.
Prevention is better than cure, always.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of our Company, partners and other organizations. While any information provided on our blog is true to the best of our knowledge, we do not guarantee the veracity, reliability or completeness of the information presented. Any advice or opinion is purely for information purposes and should not be construed as an alternative to professional advice.0