Russia has the rights to host the FIFA World Cup for the first time in history. And these facts just add to the glorious history.
On 14th June 2018, the kick off to the month-long event started which will culminate in the World Cup Final to be held on 15th July 2018. This will be the eleventh time that Russia will be getting an opportunity to play in the World Cup but it will be the first time that Russia will be hosting the international event. Here are the interesting facts about the World Cup 2018.
- Zabivaka which means “goalscorer” in Russian is the mascot for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. It is in the shape of a wolf which won amongst other mascots. Zabivaka won 52.8% of the vote against its opponents, a tiger and a cat. Ekaterina Bocharova, a Tomsk State University student is the designer, behind the mascot.
- The World Cup Russia 2018 logo and the brand of the FIFA World Cup 2018 were done on October 28, 2014. The unveiling happened at the International Space Station and was projected onto the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow by cosmonauts.
- 400 USD Million is the prize money for the team who is going to lift the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- The central theme of the World Cup Russia is all about the cosmic outer space exploration, entwined with folk motives like Firebirds, Matryoshkas and other folk motifs.
This would be the first time in the history of the football world cup, that VAR (Video Assistant Referee) system would be officially used for an official FIFA game.
- The FIFA Cup matches will be held in 11 cities: Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Ekaterinburg, Kazan, Samara, Volgograd, Nizhny Novgorod, Saransk, Rostov-on-Don, Kaliningrad and Sochi.
- The event will be hosted on the stadiums which are at least at the two extreme corners of the country; 2000 km apart from each other.
- The 2018 FIFA World Cup and each host city will be represented by elected ambassadors – famous people who were either born in those cities or are somehow related to them. The ambassadors of the World Cup promote sports and healthy lifestyle and promote the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- The construction at the 2018 WC has created job opportunities for 100,000 people besides creating indirect engagement opportunities for work.
- Every single host city will be represented by elected ambassadors who were either famous or are in the process of making it big in those cities.
This World Cup has turned out to be too lucky for two nations- Iceland and Panama because they will see their debut this year.
Conclusion: Facts or just ideas, this crazy stuff just keeps the madness going! Several records are broken and several remain untouched, as the match goes ahead, we unveil more FIFA World Cup moments.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of our Company, partners and other organizations. While any information provided on our blog is true to the best of our knowledge, we do not guarantee the veracity, reliability or completeness of the information presented. Any advice or opinion is purely for information purposes and should not be construed as an alternative to professional advice.0