Any kind of violations in sport is a foul. There are four main types of fouls in basketball: personal, technical, flagrant and team foul.
It is very important to understand some of the rules of the game to gauge better the possibilities of fouling.
- Personal fouls: Personal fouls stem out of any type of illegal physical contact. It can be from hitting, holding, slapping, pushing, and illegal screen. When an offensive player sticks out a limb and makes physical contact with a defender in an attempt to block the path of the defender. It results in a foul.
Usually, three free throws are awarded if the player is fouled while shooting for a three-point goal in a case of them missing their shot. If any player is fouled while shooting a three-point shot, he, in that case, is awarded one free throw. Hence, usually, a player could score four points on the play.
- It is important to note that if the team committing the foul has seven or more fouls in the game, then the player who was fouled is awarded one free throw. If he makes his first shot, then he is awarded another free throw.
- If in any case the team committing the foul has ten or more fouls, then the fouled player receives two free throws.
- Charging: Noted when a player pushes or runs over a defensive player. The ball, in this case, is given to the team that the foul was committed upon.
- Blocking: A personal contact as a result of a defender not getting to a position in time, to prevent an opponent’s drive to the basket.
- Flagrant Foul: An extremely violent contact with an opponent. This involves hitting, kicking, and punching the opponent. This type of foul results in free throws besides the offence retaining possession of the ball after the free throws.
- Intentional Foul: Occurs when a player makes physical contact with another player just for the sake of offense and without any justifiable reason to snatch the ball. This is primarily a judgment call for the officials.
- Technical Foul: When a player or a coach does something unexpected. The contact with the player or the ball in itself is not the moot question over here but it is mostly to do about the ‘manners’ of the game. Language, obscenity, gestures, obscene or otherwise besides arguing can be called off as a technical foul. Even filling in the scorebook in an improper manner can result in a technical foul.
24 Second Violation
In NBA teams have to make a shot within 24 seconds if that is not he case, then there is a change of ball possession.
The offensive team gets only 8 seconds to bring the ball past the midcourt line. So after a basket is made by a team, the margin of error and the level of competitiveness is pretty fierce.
Conclusion: To enjoy a game and play fair, a proper understanding of rules and fouls are required. Here are the fouls that you must refrain yourself from.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of our Company, partners and other organizations. While any information provided on our blog is true to the best of our knowledge, we do not guarantee the veracity, reliability or completeness of the information presented. Any advice or opinion is purely for information purposes and should not be construed as an alternative to professional advice.0